Sunday 13 May 2012

Evening lectures for the academic within

Increasingly, I find myself finding and sourcing information from Twitter. Yes children, I loves it. So many hours to waste, too little time to waste them.

Last week I spotted a journalist (who I now can’t remember) who had tweeted about a friend of hers speaking at Birbeck University. I followed the link and found out that starting tomorrow it is Birkbeck's Arts Week, which will showcase evenings of films screenings and lectures. And it's all free! Although held and Birkbeck, and presumably for the students, anyone can go. Although it’s free you do encourage you to book.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with the institution, it is university near Euston station and it's good. That's all you need to know really.

After having a quick perusal of what's on offer and there seems to be all matter of visual art, theatre and literature covered in one short week. I personally like the look of the seminar called, "Jokes, Laughter and Literature", because we wouldn't want it to be too serious would we? This is a short talk and discussion by a few of the University's academics on humour in writers through the ages.

The other thing that I thought would be pretty cool is a night called, "Loose Muse: Readings by Contemporary Women Poets". This I think would be cool for a few reason; firstly because I don't think there are enough poetry readings; and secondly there are certainly not enough women doing them. I am going to ignore the current Poet Laureate. The main reason I liked the look of this was because I thought, when I moved to London, that I would be going to poetry readings and sitting around in arty, smoke filled cafes discussing the meaning of life with young beautiful people. This has failed to happen once in the year and half I have lived here. This is mainly because I live in Brixton in 2012 and not a poorly made 80/90s teen film. A sad fact I have had to face. There is also the fact that you are no longer allowed to smoke in bars and cafes. Bastards.

Anyway, I digress. Go and have a look at the website, book, and enjoy some free culture. You might even learn something.

No comments:

Post a Comment