Friday 13 July 2012

Do you remember what summer feels like?

I am going to jump on the bandwagon here, but what the hell is up with the weather? It's gone batshit crazy that's what.

Are you having trouble remembering what summer feels like? Even with my pretty low sun tolerance I am having withdrawal symptoms. So, as a result, I am looking for things which remind me of summer or at least give me an opportunity when I can pretend it is July.

A perfect antidote to my SAD is Oxjam Brixton's "Beat the Blue" Summer Launch Party at Brixton Clubhouse. If you didn’t get that- it’s in Brixton. The club night, to be held on Friday 20th July from 7pm, promises to showcase an array of local reggae acts. I am imagining a rum in one hand and summery sounds to lull be into the belief that I am on a Caribbean island rather than round the corner from a KFC.



So they've got DJ Zinc Fence bringing his awesome Catch a Fire night and Cpanel DJs Balofo and Nomic and (what I am most excited about) The London City Reggae Choir. I have never seen a reggae choir and cannot help but be a little intrigued.

The Brixton Clubhouse is a cool little club with terrace outside and a slightly odd wicker fence separating the terrace from the street. It's just around the corner from the station so if you get lost you are really are stupid and don't deserve to go to a fun night such as this.

A ticket costs £5 in advance from here or it's £7 on the door. The money is going towards Brixton Oxjam Takeover concerts in October.

Oxjam is a month long festival organised by Oxfam that takes place up and down the country to use local musical talent to raise money to fight global poverty and raise awareness. There are loads of events happening up and down the country and all over London. I just know about the Brixton ones because I live in Brixton and I am helping them spread the word. I am good like that. I know I know, I am growing more slappable by the second.

If you would like to see my awful attempt to dance to reggae music (it involves a lot of swaying and intermittent hip shaking) let me know and we can live in a tiny summer microcosm for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment