Wednesday 4 July 2012

Get quizzical for charity

In my last post I casually mentioned how I was volunteering for

everything under the sun (or at least South of the river). Didn't it make you sit up and take a good look at your life and want to be a better person? No? Humph. Self-righteousness is obviously not for you then.

If you do fancy helping out a charity without the time commitment, with a guaranteed dash of fun, why not come to the Sounds Familiar Music Quiz in aid of Oxjam Brixton takeover. Sounds Familiar is a regular music quiz that pops up all over London and has agreed to host a night next Wednesday 11th July at the Dogstar in Brixton. The admission price will go towards funding Oxjam Brixton’s one day festival in October.

In effect, the quiz is a fundraiser for a future fundraiser. I don't get it, but I trust Oxfam and know you have to spend money to make money. But you need to have some money first. I could totally be on the Apprentice.

The Sounds Familiar Music quiz is "London's best and most raucous music quiz", according to Time Out. See, it isn’t just me. Real reviewing types rate it.

The idea of the quiz is not only to test your music knowledge with rounds like, Mum & Dad’s School Reunion, Soul Weekender, You’ll Never Hear From Me Again, Round of Relaxation, Mash It Up and Name That Tune, but encourage its quizees to get up and dance and have a "rare tear" as my Glaswegian Uncle would say.

If you needed more convincing the quiz is so popular that it is taken on the festival circuit as can be witnessed in this clip at Glastonbury last year. I think we can all agree this is something pretty special.

There are actually quite good prizes for the winning teams including 2 tickets for Sneaky Sound System at Electric Brixton, 2 tickets for The Black Seeds at Electric Brixton and 2 tickets for Sham 69 at Electric Brixton. As well as some CDs (some better than others).

The only thing that makes me hesitate from signing up is the "Pile of Shit" round, which is supposed to feature the worst records the compere can think of. I fear this round would feature a lot of my most cherished songs (Chumbawamba anyone?). Despite this I shall brave the outing and practice my "Oh God! Who ever listened to this pile of monkey crap" while secretly crying inside.

Tickets are only £5 per person (or £30 per 6 person team. Obviously) and can be bought here. You can turn up and pay £5 but to make sure you get a place tis best to book in advance. The quiz starts at 7ish and runs until the last song is sung and the last table danced upon. So it is written so let it be done.

You will be thrilled to know that I am accepting team mates to add to my knowledge of 80s Pop, Enya and the Spice Girls. If you think you have what it takes to join the winning team I will be holding interviews on Monday 9th. No time wasters please.

If you want to know about more about Oxjam Brixton takeover check out their website and you can still get involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment