Wednesday 18 July 2012

Tell me a story

I am so excited about my most recent discovery that I have been itching to share it since Monday when I experienced it for myself.

The life-changing experience of which I speak is Spark London: A true storytelling event.



The premise of the night is very simple- anyone is allowed to go up in front of the audience and share a story which must be 1) true 2) about themselves 3) relate to the theme of the week and 4) be no longer than 5 minutes long.

I was a little sceptical about the prospect of hearing people tell their stories. I don't like people and I don't like strangers trying to talk to me so I thought it might not be for me. However, my feelings on leaving the venue could not have been more different. To be it simply- it was wonderful.

I think it was a fluke when I went, but over half of the story-tellers were Americans, which definitely made it feel a lot cooler. It was like being in the back room of club in New York where everyone should still be allowed to smoke indoors and click instead of clap. Not that I have ever been to a club like that in New York you, but various TV programmes and films have assured me of their existence. And it wasn’t that wanky.

One woman just had the best New York accent I have ever heard in real life. She was from Queens and wore a baseball cap with NY on. It was truly amazing. Say "coffee" or "New York" in one of those stereotypical NY accents, then double it and you will have this woman. She told a funny story about being a former catalogue model and having her breasts manhandled by a black transvestite called Laquesha. However, by far the best thing she said, in fact the best bit of the whole night, was when she explained she was from Queens (hence the accent) and said, "To put it in perspective- it's like Luton".

It was brilliant to see the range of people overcoming their embarrassment or, in some cases, rearing to get on stage in front of everyone, to tell something that happened to them. Many were very funny, a few were heartfelt and some just bizarre, but for some reason because they were all true people the audience, myself included, were completely captivated.

When we first walked, in the compere for the evening went through the audience and asked people if they had a story to tell. Most people shook their heads frantically; mouths clamped and avoided her gaze. But, during the break people were hounding her to try and get their 5 minute slot on the stage. "This is what happens," announced the compere coming back in the second half, "Everyone really does have a story to tell".

Coincidentally the nights are a New York phenomenon, but Spark is currently the only night of its kind (so they say) in London. I went to the Upstairs bar at the Ritzy in Brixton, which is a regular night (every third Monday of the month), and just takes donations. Or there is a night at the Canal Cafe in Little Venice every first Monday of the month, but that seems to cost £8. Too much me thinks. Not that I'm biased or anything.

If you are up at the Edinburgh Fringe you can go and see their show with professional storytellers. I would wait for the open-mic though because it makes it so much more interesting. There really was something oddly comforting about hearing the truth.


2 comments:

  1. I went to this at the beginning of the year, and thought it was great! Have you heard of Are you sitting comfortably? and Storytails? They're storytelling nights, not true stories, but I went to AYSC and it was excellent. Still have Storytails to try...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah no I haven't come across those other nights. I will have to look them up. I just like the true stories because it made them seem less naff even if they weren't going to be all that exciting (but they all were) if that makes sense? Thanks for reading.

      Delete